Marketing and Communications Specialist
- Full Time
- Mid Level
uAspire seeks a Marketing and Communications Specialist to support our External Affairs team through mission-aligned storytelling, media outreach, and digital content creation. Reporting to the VP of Marketing and Communications, the Marketing and Communications Specialist will work closely with the External Affairs team and engage with stakeholders organization-wide.
The Marketing & Communications Specialist will primarily be responsible for digital content creation, managing all aspects of the organization’s social media presence, and management of uAspire’s editorial calendar. This role will also analyze key metrics to track the effectiveness of campaigns along with proactively developing strategies to improve communications efforts.
This position requires an exceptional writer, creative thinker, and collaborator. Ideally, the candidate will be comfortable working both independently and collaboratively within a small team, and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. The successful candidate must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders including staff, students, and external supporters.
Content Development and Storytelling
- Develop, write, manage, and produce content and materials in accordance with brand messages for all communication vehicles (email campaigns, newsletters, blogs, annual reports, press releases)
- Conceptualize and create original content, curating impactful content from external stakeholders and internal sources. Share compelling stories to convey our mission, ultimately raising awareness, engagement, and revenue
Social Media Content Creation and Engagement
- Manage all aspects of uAspire’s social media presence (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube) and website
- Develop social media plans within budget requirements to reach target audiences
- Drive strategy to increase engagement on social media accounts; partner with internal stakeholders to ensure communication objectives and engagement goals are met
Internal and External Collaboration
- Collaborate with all departments to identify internal and external stakeholder media needs
- Curate and manage uAspire’s communications, event marketing, and editorial calendar for web, email, social media, and media outreach
- Support in media outreach and other relevant external partner relationships as needed
- Work with VP MarComm to pitch media and secure stories for placement
Strategy Development and Research
- Evaluate the success of various communication strategies to provide and implement recommendations for improvement
- Leverage key engagement metrics across platforms to optimize content, messaging, and distributions
- Identify and research media outlets, producers, editors, and reporters
- Monitor, evaluate, and report on industry activities; make recommendations based on findings/opportunities discovered
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Education, Experience & Skills:
- 1-3 years of relevant professional experience in communications and/or marketing; Minimum one year experience as a full-time communications, marketing, or public relations professional
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (candidates selected to interview will be required to complete written performance exercise)
- Proven experience developing content for various audiences
- Experience/proven results managing social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines
- Ability to initiate and complete tasks with limited administrative assistance
- Exceptional attention to detail, proofreading skills, and an eye for design
- Ability to learn new programs quickly (i.e., email marketing and content management systems)
- Knowledge of basic press and media relations practices
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, public affairs, English, or related field preferred
- Equity and Inclusion
- Equity Mindset - Identify and examine personal biases, stereotypes, prejudices and cultural norms in ways that consider their impact on persons with marginalized identities.
- Awareness of Inequity - Recognize the social effects of race, ethnicity, class, gender and other identities and the systems of oppression which perpetuate these inequities.
- Advance Diversity and Inclusion - Proactively seeks out diverse perspectives and relationships within the workplace and the broader community served.
- uAspire’s Core Competencies
- Excellence - Steps up and follows through to consistently deliver high-quality work.
- Equity & Inclusion - Champion the values of diversity and the creation of inclusive spaces.
- Growth Mindset - Embrace challenges and setbacks as the fuel for learning and development.
- Teamwork - Contribute actively and collaboratively with colleagues to active shared goals.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: June 6,2022
COMPENSATION: The salary range for this position is $55,000 - $65,000. Salary commensurate with experience and education.
STATUS: Full Time
LOCATION AND WORK ARRANGEMENT: Remote, preference for candidates based in uAspire geography (Greater Boston, MA, New York, NY, or Bay Area, CA). Candidates need to be based in the United States.
REPORTS TO: Carrie Fethe, VP of Marketing and Communications
VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: All uAspire employees are required to be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination or proof of exemption for medical or religious reasons will be collected upon employee onboarding.
Organization Vision: uAspire imagines a day when all young people have the opportunity to reach their full potential by graduating from college, regardless of their families’ financial resources or college experiences.
Organization Summary: uAspire is a national leader in providing college affordability services to young people, families, and college access and success practitioners. By 2022, uAspire’s strategic plan aims to impact the lives of 3,000,000 young people through:
- Student Advising: In person and over text, we support students one-on-one to maximize financial aid, minimize loan debt, and make informed financial decisions about the best post-secondary option for them.
- Training: Online and in-person we provide professional development for school counselors and college access providers, sharing our expertise so they can effectively support their students.
- Policy & Systems Change: To level the playing field for young people from all economic backgrounds, we work to improve financial aid systems so everyone has a chance to graduate with a degree they can afford.
uAspire is an equal opportunity employer, fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace that embraces and encourages applicants of every background. The company’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity means that all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, benefits, wage and salary administration, scheduling, disciplinary action and termination will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of sex, gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.