College Affordability Advisor
uAspire College Affordability Advisors work directly with youth to help them navigate the process of finding and financing an affordable path to college. Advisors receive in-depth training on college affordability to successfully support students. Our College Affordability Advisors are either assigned to multiple schools to work with high school seniors in person and/or virtually or serve a cohort of postsecondary students using our innovative text-messaging platform. Whether the advisor is serving high school or postsecondary students they support key college affordability related tasks such as financial aid form completion, scholarship research, and analysis of financial aid award letters.
This position requires a highly motivated individual with a passion for supporting youth, a commitment to continuous learning about navigating the college access and success process, someone who is comfortable working independently, and who enjoys leveraging data and technology to support student success will be a strong fit in this role. The successful applicant will be someone who is excited about making a real impact on the lives of young people, strives to put learning into action, and thrives on new challenges.
We are seeking applicants who would be willing to make at least a two-year commitment to this role and uAspire given the significant amount of specialized training and time commitment, and so that we can also make the same commitment to our students and parents during a time where consistency is critically important.
College Affordability Advising
- Provide in-person, text-message and Zoom-based advising based on uAspire’s college affordability curriculum to high school students attending Boston Area high schools and/or postsecondary students who graduated from Boston Area high schools.
- Assist students in on-time completion of state, federal, and institutional financial aid forms.
- Maximize texting platform capabilities to foster strong advising relationships and rapport with students.
- Work collaboratively with staff from partner schools and community-based organizations to share pertinent information and strategize about student progress.
- Advocate for and coach students to engage with relevant individuals, offices, and resources to support their individual needs.
- Develop and implement creative approaches to drive student engagement with program text messages.
- Identify and maximize opportunities to engage students via other tech and communication means.
- Organize in-school financial aid events with students and families in collaboration with school and community partners.
- Maintain detailed records in uAspire’s Salesforce database and texting platform to track student data and progress to program goals.
- Regularly review advisor performance data to monitor own progress to goals. Pull and utilize pertinent Salesforce student data reports to inform outreach to students.
- Complete survey collection & other administrative responsibilities.
- Pull and utilize pertinent Salesforce student data reports to inform outreach to students.
- Contribute to regionally specific research and resource gathering to improve training and knowledge for staff and promote efficiencies in our direct service to students.
- Facilitate occasional college affordability presentations and student events in collaboration with regional and program partners.
- Maintain positive and collaborative working relationships.
- Support Program leadership by assisting with special projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Experience, Education & Skills:
- Able to quickly process dense amounts of information and turn it into clear action steps for students. Takes the initiative to translate student experience to best influence program design.
- Positive engagement with students, teammates, and partners both internal and external to uAspire.
- Comfortable learning and/or using platforms such as Salesforce, in addition to daily platforms such as google sheets, in order to efficiently and accurately complete work.
- Excitement to become an expert on college affordability and contribute to a learning environment in both formal and informal ways with proactive enthusiasm.
- Knowledge of barriers faced by low-income, first generation college bound students, particularly students of color. Successful track record of diverse high school and/or college populations from underrepresented communities.
- Experience demonstrating building or supporting systems, policies, and practices that prioritize a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment.
- Some college-going experience is required; degree attainment is optional.
- Knowledge of local community desired (Greater Boston area high schools and MA higher education system).
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Organizational skills and ability to plan in a fast-paced environment.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and interested in learning within a growing, entrepreneurial organization.
- Ability to work flexible hours that will include some evenings and occasional weekends due to school-based events.
- Proficiency with fundamental professional software: Google Mail/Docs, and Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint – required.
- Bilingual abilities are a plus.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as a part of a team.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: August 8, 2022 with expected two-year commitment in this role at minimum through Summer 2024.
COMPENSATION: The salary range for this position is $42,000-$45,000. Salary commensurate with experience and education.
STATUS: Non-exempt, full time
LOCATION: Greater Boston area-based
VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: All uAspire employees are required to be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination or proof of exemption for medical or religious reasons will be collected upon employee onboarding.
REPORTS TO: Joshua Etienne, Regional Advising Director MA
Organization Vision: uAspire imagines a day when all young people have the opportunity to reach their full potential by graduating from college, regardless of their families’ financial resources or college experiences.
Organization Summary: uAspire is a national leader in providing college affordability services to young people, families, and college access and success practitioners. By 2022, uAspire’s strategic plan aims to impact the lives of 3,000,000 young people through:
- Student Advising: In person and over text, we support students one-on-one to maximize financial aid, minimize loan debt, and make informed financial decisions about the best post-secondary option for them.
- Training: Online and in-person we provide professional development for school counselors and college access providers, sharing our expertise so they can effectively support their students.
- Policy & Systems Change: To level the playing field for young people from all economic backgrounds, we work to improve financial aid systems so everyone has a chance to graduate with a degree they can afford.
uAspire is an equal opportunity employer, fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace that embraces and encourages applicants of every background. The company’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity means that all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, benefits, wage and salary administration, scheduling, disciplinary action and termination will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of sex, gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.